OceanPro Industries Ltd proactively seeks methods to conduct our business as responsible stewards for the environment. Our company, being a seafood provider, has two areas of responsibilities. The first and foremost is the sourcing of our product and second the environmental impact of our operations. Combined with these concerns are the well being of our staff and the communities around us.
Concerning the source of our products, OceanPro Industries has a long term commitment to seafood preservation. Sustainable seafood comes from fishing practices that allow a depleted source to recover and reach healthy population levels. It further prevents these fisheries from becoming depleted again through a management program, usually done in agreement with the fisherman directly affected. While there is some dispute over how much of our fisheries are properly managed and what is truly affecting the stock sustainability, OceanPro Industries Ltd tries to buy products from a certifiable sustainable source. This is not always possible however, and in those cases where we can not purchase from a certifiable source, we purchase from a legal source and trust the laws of the jurisdiction of the source to help us ensure of its sustainability.
While fish stocks naturally fluctuate in population, scientists throughout the world are constantly monitoring and managing stocks. Over 98% of the top ten seafood products in the United States are from fully sustainable species – these present little problem for us. Rather it is the uncommon species which we strive to determine whether the species is properly managed before engaging in an effort to sell a product. Whenever a customer desires a product which we can not certify as sustainable, we ensure its legality and source specifically for that customer without attempting to increase sales of the product through our traditional efforts.
In addition, OceanPro Industries is committed to operating as a good partner in the world and we demonstrate this commitment through the following methods:
- We support fishing practices that ensure the abundance of marine life – taking consideration into bi-catch factors and fishing method factors.
- We promote the sale of well managed fishery products, utilizing information from a variety of references, please see links attached here
- We sell only products harvested legally and in accordance with federally or state mandated fishing methods and practices. Many of these practices are set to aid in the sustainability of a specific species
- By supporting government actions directed at ensuring the sustainability of a species
- By supporting responsible environmental groups that encourage science based fishery management
On the Road
- We are currently seeking ways to convert our fleet from the diesel fuel to a more environmentally friendly fuel. At present we are experimenting with propane based vehicles
- All of vehicles are maintained in perfect mechanical operation thereby having as minimal an environmental impact as possible
- Routing our vehicles is done in the most efficient way possible, ensuring the fewest miles driven per vehicle stop
- Energy – we attempt to recycle and reuse as much energy as possible, which we accomplish in a variety of methods throughout our plant, including using wind energy to power our plant, capturing excess electricity and re-using, heating only small spaces of our warehouse when necessary (colder is better for fish – always), energy efficient lighting, and maintaining our fleet in tip top operation shape for best mileage rates
Keeping Water Clean
- We use no "hard water"12:30 2009-07-22 chemicals for cleaning and sanitizing. Much is done with pressure and biodegradable sanitation agents
- We have large filters in our export pipes which allow us to remove debris and contaminants from the water leaving our facility, ensuring a fresh water returns to the Chesapeake Bay
- We provide diversity within our workplace – with our goal being to allow employees to attain their highest potential
- We provide all of our employees the opportunity to further educate themselves with any aspect pertaining to our industry
- Our employees have an "Employee Code of Ethics" which we demand strict adherence to
- We donate generously to numerous charities whose aims are for the local area and local people truly in need of help. We try to support educational efforts where the people are taught how to better their situation and reduce their reliance on help!
OceanPro Industries strives to be a good corporate partner. We desire to see our planet preserved in as pristine condition as possible and do everything within our physical and economic means to achieve this goal. As President, I can assure you, that all of our practices and procedures have this commitment in mind.
Gregory J Casten
Profish supports the efforts and process which FishWatch maintains in defining the stability of and promoting the virtues of seafood in our diet.